L 230/32 EN
Official Journal of the European Union
DIRECTIVE 2003/65/EC OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL
of 22 July 2003
amending Council Directive 86/609/EEC on the approximation of laws, regulations and administra- tive provisions of the Member States regarding the protection of animals used for experimental and other scientific purposes
(Text with EEA relevance)
THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND THE COUNCIL OF THE EUROPEAN UNION,
Having regard to the Treaty establishing the European Community, and in particular Article 95 thereof,
Having regard to the proposal from the Commission (1),
Having regard to the opinion of the European Economic and Social Committee (2),
Acting in accordance with the procedure laid down in Article 251 of the Treaty (3),
(1) On 23 March 1998 the Council adopted Decision 1999/ 575/EC concerning the conclusion by the Community of the European Convention for the protection of vertebrate animals used for experimental and other scientific purposes (4) (hereinafter referred to as the Convention).
HAVE ADOPTED THIS DIRECTIVE:
In Directive 86/609/EEC the following Articles shall be inserted:
The measures necessary for the implementation of this Directive relating to the subject matters referred to below shall be adopted in accordance with the regulatory procedure set out in
Annexes to this Directive.
1. The Commission shall be assisted by a Committee.
2. Where reference is made to this paragraph, Articles 5 and 7 of Decision 1999/468/EC shall apply, having regard to the provisions of Article 8 thereof.
The period laid down in Article 5(6) of Decision 1999/ 468/EC shall be set at three months.
3. The Committee shall adopt its rules of procedure.’
Member States shall bring into force the laws, regulations and administrative provisions necessary to comply with this Directive before 16 September 2004. They shall forthwith inform the Commission thereof.
When Member States adopt these measures, they shall contain a reference to this Directive or be accompanied by such a reference on the occasion of their official publication. The methods of making such reference shall be laid down by the Member States.
(1) OJ C 25 E, 29.1.2002, p. 536.
This Directive shall enter into force on the day of its publication in the
This Directive is addressed to the Member States.
For the European Parliament
For the Council